Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update – HP Printers – Installing a Mac Print Driver Utilizing Apple Application Update This doc is for HP printers which have motorists offered as a result of Apple Program Update and Mac computers. Set up the best offered HP print driver and software with your Mac employing Apple Software program Update. Before installing the computer software, transform on the printer and make sure it indeed is related towards the laptop or computer you wish to print or scan from, both by using a USB cable or using your neighborhood Wi-Fi or wired community.
Installing the driver in macOS or OS X 10.7 and later
To install the HP Printer Driver through Apple Software Update, create a new print queue on the Mac.
Where is the download button? Your HP drivers automatically download and install through Apple Software Update, but if you want to manually download drivers, go to HP Printer Drivers for macOS and OS X Mavericks and later (in English) or HP Printer Drivers for OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Lion (in English) on the Apple support site.
Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.
Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.
Check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list. Do one of the following steps, depending on if the printer is listed or not.
If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm communication and to make sure the correct driver is used. Click the name of your printer, then click the minus sign to delete the printer. Once the printer is removed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, then continue to the next step.
If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, then continue to the next step.
If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, make sure the printer is connected to the Mac with a USB cable, or that it is on the same wired or wireless network as your Mac. See the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, then continue to the next step.
Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer.
NOTE: Selecting a Generic driver option from the Use menu can result in limited printer functionality.
Select the name of your printer in the Use menu
- Click Add to add the printer to the list.
- If you are prompted to install software, click Download and Install to complete the installation.
- If ‘Software is currently unavailable’ displays, click Cancel, then go to Printer and scanner software for macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks (in English). If your printer is supported, go to HP Printer Drivers for macOS and OS X Mavericks and later (in English) or HP Printer Drivers for OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Lion (in English) to try manually installing the drivers.
- Close the System Preferences window.
Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on your printer functionality.
- If you can print, scan, or fax, you installed the driver and can now use your printer.
- If you cannot print, scan, or fax, see the Frequently asked questions on scanning issues and methods, driver support information, and to troubleshoot printer connection issues.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Review these frequently asked questions about installing and using HP print and scan drivers installed through Apple Software Update on a Mac running OS X 10.7 and later or macOS.
Installing the driver in Mac OS X 10.6
Install the Mac Snow Leopard print driver and software using Apple Software Update.
Step 1: Confirm the printer is supported
Before installing the driver, make sure that your printer has a driver available for Mac OS X 10.6. Some newer HP printers are no longer supported in this operating system. Go to Printer and scanner software available for download for Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 (in English).
- If your printer is supported, continue to the next step to connect your printer.
- If your printer is not supported, you have the option to install a third party Gutenprint driver that provides basic print functionality. Go to Gimp-Print to download the driver. Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.
Step 2: Connect the printer to your computer or network
For Apple Software Update to install the correct driver, the printer must be connected to your Mac or a wired or wireless network, and you need an active Internet connection.
Read one of the following sections that match your connection type. If you are prompted to install the driver during the connection process, make sure to continue to the next step to add the printer to the Mac printers list.